Businessman whose passport was flagged by police charged


Abdisalan Adan Hussein whose passport had been red-flagged by police at a Makadara law court on Tuesday, August 15, 2023. [Collins Kweyu, Standard]

A businessman whose passport had been red-flagged for six months by police when he went missing after he allegedly committed fraud has been charged.

Abdisallan Adan Hussein was arraigned before Makadara Senior Resident Magistrate Mercy Malingu on Tuesday where he denied the charge facing him.

The charge sheet stated that on diverse dates between July 29 and October 3, at Eastleigh, Nairobi he obtained Sh3.6 million from Hassan Abdullahi Sheikh through false pretence.

The charge sheet says that Hussein obtained the money by falsely pretending that he was in a position to sub rent a go down to him a fact he knew to be false

According to Hussein Hassan, the investigating officer, the accused was arrested by immigration officers at JKIA on Monday.

He was thereafter handed over to Pangani police DCI officers who presented him to the court court on Tuesday.

The officer told the magistrate that the accused person was arrested at the JKIA after landing from Somalia enroute to Turkey.

He said the man was a flight risk as he refused to cooperate with police at the Pangani police station during interrogation.

"The respondent refused to give his residential particulars and even refused to record his statement as per the police procedure for the purpose of investigations which proves that he is uncooperative with the investigating officer," said Hussein.

Hussein also said that for the last five months, the accused person had switched off his mobile phones which prompted police to place a red flag alert on his passport.

"Your honor Hussein was born in Somalia but per records, he is a Kenyan and holds an East African passport though his nationality is still in question we are investigating it," said the investigating officer.

He urged the court to give the accused person strict bond terms.

The magistrate ordered the accused who was represented by lawyer Ishmael Nyaribo to deposit in court his passport until his case is heard and determined. He was released on a bond of Sh1 million


Related Articles